Philthy Blog asks 5 (mostly) random questions to (mostly) interesting Philly ppl.
1. If ur DJ set came to life in the form of 3 celebrities, who would they be?
Christian Slater in True Romance, Mathew Broderick in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Sloth from Goonies
2. Where do u find new music, what blogs do u check out?
Beatport, Gigacrate, Turntable Lab. If I can find what I’m looking for by legitimate means I would prefer to buy it, otherwise I’ll hit the Hype Machine. A lot of stuff that ends up on blogs is really low quality stuff – MySpace rips and whatnot, and no good for playing on loud expensive sound systems. Plus, I edit 90% of the stuff I play so its nice to start with a good base.
3. Does it help u or hurt u that now really anyone can afford basic DJ equipment? How do u stand out?
The fact that the technical barriers to entry have dissolved hasn’t really concerned me. Sure, anyone can “DJ,” but It takes a lot of time, dedication, and practice to be able to read and play to a crowd. I spend countless hours pursuing new material, and even more editing and tweaking tracks, not to mention the time spent organizing, reorganizing, and really listening to/learning the music.
4. This month’s Live Forever theme (I thought) was religion… Done anything lately that God might not be so happy with?
I’m an everyday sinner.
5. How do u feel about gay marriage?
I back it 110%. Its ridiculous to me that its still even an issue.
Keep up with Mr. Dope and add him on MySpace HERE!