Jon Crary’s Weekly Sound Off is as follows:
1. Sharon Van Etten ” Taking Chances” ( Jajaguwar) – It’s harder, more electric and staightforward than ever before. Sharon Van Etten hits it hard and on target with this one. Pick of the week!!
2. Real Estate “Talking Backwards” (Domino) – As a big fan of this New Jersey indie dream rock band, I enjoyed the jangly pop tunes reminiscent of cool forgetful days, but this new tune is more mature and tighter, largely transcends the dreaminess into something more intelligent and solid beckons back to more familiar days like a lot of ’70’s vibe infused into it. The new album “Atlas” is out now.
3. How to Dress Well “Words I Don’t Remember” – This neo R&B artist takes his craft into a realm, ethereal and danceable, eclectic and familiar. AKA Tom Kreall has an amazing voice, and this song is chilling. The minimalist sensibilities are still dominant, but it’s a bit more poppy. Triumph!
4. Future Islands ” A Dream of You and Me” (4AD) – That Letterman performance of the past week was a snapshot of what it’s like at a Future Islands concert. The music is incredible, and so is Samuel Herring’s huge voice, a huge recognizable voice of indie rock, unique as it is. This is another great Future Islands track.
5. Shit Robot ” Do That Dance” (DFArecords) – All that “Toot toot beep beep” from the ’70’s disco and beat that makes you want to dance. Then there is that Stevie Wonder-like keyboard vibe. This is a tasty tune.
6. Christopher Owens ” It Comes Back to You” – Wow, what a beautiful comeback song for this Girls frontman! It’s a heartfelt ballad and lots of the vibe of “Girls” from earlier albums. Love this track.