Jon Crary’s Weekly Sound Off:April 7-April 12
1. Night Drive- “Drones” – This electro-dance track pounds along and takes you back. It’s a journey that reminds you of great times on the dance floor in the 80’s with it’s hypnotic/ robotic vocals and steady keyboard synths that are irresistible and catchy. I like the spacey atmospherics too! Great track from this duo from Texas!
2. Work Drugs- “Time” (Bobby Cahn Records)– This Philadelphia dream pop band who has several albums in its catalog scores big time with this incredible song “Time” from it’s new album “Insurgents”. It has huge synths, bright vocals and a catchy chorus and hooks. Excellent tune!
3. Marian Hill- “Lovit” – This is a cool neo-electro R&B duo from Philadelphia serving up a tasty song . It’s muted synthesized trumpet –like sound and claps are catchy, and its bass is just downright funky. Wow. Great tune.
4. Todd Terje -“Johnny and Mary (feat. Bryan Ferry) – Wow, this starts as a downbeat synth-like offering from Todd Terje, but morphs into a panoramic extravaganza. It’s Bryan Ferry’s slithery, whispery vocals that provide it with an ethereal and strange feeling….like it really belongs there.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFSGe-l18Yo]
5. Islet- “Carlos” – Just listen to the splashes of dreamy guitar and incomprehensible vocal drones and chorus and chimes from the percussion. It comes together so well, so danceable and fun yet a bit on the fringe, but it feels good in the end. Like it. Great tune.