1. Angel Olsen “Hi-Five”- (Jagjaguwar) – This is Angel Olsen. This song is a straight forward fuzz guitar retro lo-fi rock song. It’s reminiscent of early Best Coast. The song is dreamy and disjointed, a love song taken to the next level. My pick song of the week in anticipation of her forthcoming LP Burn Your Fire for No Witness.
2. Eternal Summers “Gouge” – (Kanine Records) – This is a fast guitar, dreamy pop song. It’s great car music, driving down the highway. It’s ethereal guitar rock with a beautiful high pitched female voice Cocteau-twin’s –like 80’s upbeat tempo. This is my cool pick of the week— a must listen.
3. St. Vincent – “Digital Witness” – This is one of the best tracks of the year in anticipation of the release of St. Vincent’s latest LP later this month which may very well be one of the best albums in quite some time. It’s quirky yet beautiful, complex and retro 80’s sounding. It’s a fun song.
4. Future Islands- “One Day” – (4AD) – Another beautiful, synth-pop tune fronted by the most unique voice in pop music today in Samuel Herring. This is instant bliss![youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkE9auNyNc]
5. Kelela –“The High” – Recent trends toward minimal R&B have brought about incredible sounds from artists like Autre Ne Veut, Jessie Ware, How to Dress Well. This is a downbeat, pulsating, hypnotic and haunting move to another level of minimalism.